Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

latching / milk production

Customer Question

My baby is 10 days old. Birth weight 5 lb 13 oz. I am attempting to nurse her. She only grabs the tip of the nipple. It is so painful!!! I have tried to get her to take the whole area of the nipple--without success. My mother feeLs that I have an extra large aereola and its too large to get her little mouth around, however, she seems to ONLY be latching onto the tip of the nipple, thereby causing a lot of pain.  its less painful to pump, but its slow.  is there anything that can stimulate milk production so it goes by faster?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

It is so wonderful that you are breast-feeding your baby. She is not taking your nipple deep enough into her mouth and is pushing it against her hard palate, which is painful to you.

I am attatching a link to a very instructive video, partially animated, to show you the best technique for achieving deep-latching breast-feeding, which is much more comfortable and allows for faster removal of milk.

As breast-feeding begins, the act of the infant sucking on the nipple stimulates your body to produce oxytocin, which in turn brings on the "milk let-down" relex for the next feeding period.

One you get the deep-latching going, the cycle should continue.

Eat a healthy diet and get plenty of rest and it should work out fine for you.

Best wishes, and congratulations on your new motherhood.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality. the answer did not address the question - how to get the baby to latch correctly & how to stimulate milk production so i can pump more.
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

She is 2 pounds lighter than the average baby and you may have a large nipple so both factors are affecting her ability to get the right amount of nipple to stimulate milk production. She needs to be applying her mouth to the whole areola to stimulate production. So I am afraid you need to resort to the method used for all premature infants until they are big enough to grasp the whole areola. That is, pump every 2 hours and give her pumped milk through the bottle. If you pump often the milk supply will increase....the more you pump the more milk will be produced. It will take a few days of frequent pumping to get it to increase. Be sure to think about the baby while you are pumping...this is what stimulates the oxytocin Elliott is talking about.

You can also use a device called a lact aid:

This will help to prevent nipple confusion until her anatomy is sufficient to suck properly and stimulate milk production.

Good luck ....
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience: and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.