Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

What is the best response when we have play dates with other

What is the best response when we have play dates with other kids whose parents allow them to do things that my kids are not allowed to do? I have several good friends who allow their kids to eat lots of sugar, drink soda, eat while running around the house, or make a mess and not clean up. I like my friends a lot, but I need to know how to respond when my 2 and 1/2 year old daughter says "How come Nicole gets to drink soda?" or "How come Kiko doesn't have to clean up?"
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA,

Your response, "Different families have different our family we do not drink soda and we always clean up. Nicole and Kiko's families have different rules." That should be enough for now at her developmental age. When she is older you can discuss values and beliefs, etc.

Good luck...