Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Family Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Marriage/Family Counselor. Married 28 years, father of five. I would love to help
56283723

My 13 year old son has Aspergers. About a year and a half

My 13 year old son has Aspergers. About a year and a half ago he was hospitilized for psychosis, he has since been medicated and has become a different child (for the better). He rarely talks back to me, is very loving and respectful of me and the family. Last week he did something shocking...He spent the night at a friends house and during the middle of the night he and the other boy took the mothers car keys and went for a ride in the neighborhood, thankfully nothing or noone was harmed. We talked to him and he seemed to be back on a good track. Then yesterday, he did something else that shocked me, he was staying at a neighbors house. He went into his friends older sisters room and tried to kiss her, she told him no and he forcefully grabbed her face to make her kiss him she was able to stop him but was afraid of his strenght and agression. He then went into the other room to play games as if he did nothing wrong. When I talked to him he at first did not admit to it but eventually did and said he didnt realize it was wrong. I don't know what to think of this, is this normal behavior that I need to tell him what is wrong and right or is this signs of future disturbing behavior? Please help I dont want to over react but dont want to over look disturbing behavior.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Mark Manley replied 3 years ago.
Good for you for talking with him and giving him the consequences that you did. No this is not normal behavior. He should be seen by his psychiatrist to check his medications and he should receive counseling if he is not currently. These are both serious legal violations. He needs the interventions mentioned above and you need to take this very seriously.

Sorry you and he are going through this difficulty.
Sincerely,
Mark Manley
Mark Manley, Family Counselor
Experience: Licensed Marriage/Family Counselor. Married 28 years, father of five. I would love to help