proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My son is Graduating from HS in couple weeks. He has a girl

Customer Question

My son is Graduating from HS in couple weeks. He has a girl friend that he is spent all his time with. I've caught her at our house in his room all night a couple times. Last night he stayed out all night with her. I called him and he answered the phone. When asked why he said y'all were asleep and he didn't want to bother us. What should I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

Would you clarify - "What should I do?"

Are you asking him to halt all contact w/ her or spend less time w/ her?

How did he respond to what you and his mother asked of him so far?

info request allows any expert to respond to your post & does not count against your deposit.

Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. As the parent, you need to make sure that you have set the guidelines and rules of the household and that your son understands those rules. If you have already imposed consequences and his behavior has not changed, then you must sit down with him and the girlfriend and tell them that you do not care for over night visits. Also, you may want to contact the girlfriend's parents as well. They may have no idea that she is spending the night over your house.

If your son is 18 already or soon will be, he will be a legal adult. I am not sure if he will be going away to college or not, but he must learn to be respectful of your desires. Sneaking around behind your back and doing things with his girlfriend is not a good sign of open and honest communication between a parent and a child. Just sit down and have a discussion with him about you truly feel and then give your son time to speak. Try to reach some agreements on things that you may still disagree upon.

Have a great day!!!