Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

My 4 year old son has been toilet trained for over a year but

My 4 year old son has been toilet trained for over a year but in the last couple of months he has stopped using the toilet for both number 1's and 2's and has just been going in his pants. He is in childcare 3 days a week but manages to use the toilet there but not at home. He also wets the bed most nights. I have tried talking to him about it, offered rewards for using the toliet etc but nothing seems to work. HELP
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
The most common cause for a regression in toilet training is physical such as a bladder infection. So the physical reasons should be ruled out first (which I am sure you did but I must make sure).

The second reason is emotional....either adjusting to a change or stress. It would be best to take a low key approach to this regression. Just put pull-ups on him and say "oh well" when he has an accident and non-chalantly have him change the pull-up (don't do it for him). Eventually he will decide to go in the toilet again.

The bed wetting is a different issue and may respond to limiting his liquid 3 hours before bed and having him go to toilet just before bedtime. There is also a medication that can be used if he still has the problem a few years from now.

I hope this helps...