Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

I recently started a new job being a nanny, and the mom is

Customer Question

I recently started a new job being a nanny, and the mom is very strict and insists i spank the kids when they are misbehaving is this right? She is very specific, it must be bare bottom with a paddle. I mean its not that bad it desnt leave marks or anything but it is different for me. I need the job though.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. NO, it is not alright.I understand that this is a job and how you earn your money so you can't quit precipitously. But start looking for another job and leave as soon as possible, DO NOT SPANK the children. As soon as you leave report this parent to the Department of Children's Services. Good for you to know better --- to know that there is something very wrong with this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried to call DHS and they said that there is no crime with it, as long as there are no marks. I disagree, i have until this week to go along with her "parenting plan" or im fired. What do you think i should do?

Really need the job

Is she present when she wants you to execute that plan. When she is present isn't she the one who punishes them? If you are required to spank them when she is not there then what she doesn't know won't matter. If you can't afford to be fired, and you have no choice do what you have to do and get away from that lunatic mother. Start looking for a job immediately.