proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I have an 8 m.o. daughter. I have been paying my mom to watch

I have an 8 m.o. daughter. I have been paying my mom to watch her while I work three days a week. Lately, that arrangment has become more and more difficult. My mom has been late, inflexible, and just generally makes it really difficult to feel like she is able to really do this "job". I have had to stay home from work a couple days because she was mad at me for one reason or another. Oftentimes, it is because she doesn't agree with how I parent or the decisions that I make. On the other hand, she really needs the money. In about six months, my daughter will move on to a childcare center. Should I try to make this work for the next six months so that my daughter won't have to transition from one provider to another too many times? And, if not, should I seek out a nanny or an infant daycare. Infant daycare has been difficult for me because I parent "attachment style" (ie rock her to sleep, don't let her cry, carry her around a lot etc). I just want what is best for my baby.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your mother and your young child. Until your daughter moves on to the childcare center in 6 months, it may be the wiser choice to employ a nanny who can give your daughter the one on one care and parenting style that you would prefer. It is doubtful that the situation will improve with your mother. She will be stressed and then in turn could possibly take out her frustrations on the baby which is something that you do not need nor want. If you had a nanny, you could tell her exactly what you expect and she would comply. Just hope this provides you with some insight!!! Have a great day.Laughing