Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am thinking about raising up my child with three languages.

I am thinking about raising up my child with three languages. My native language is german, the native language of our nanny will be spanish, and english she will learning in kindergarten and school and when friends are coming to visit us. We speak at home only german. Do you think it is a good idea
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

This is a WONDERFUL idea. People who know more than one language are generally better students, will have more opportunity in the US where language skills are not common as they are in Europe.

Recent studies show that people who are fluent in more than one language are less likely to develop dementia when they are older, and if they do have a disease such as Alzheimer's, the degree of dementia will be less and the onset will occur later, and the intensity will be lower.

I am blessed to be bilingual (French as well), and know how it has made a difference in my life.

You are doing a very positive thing for your child, and he will always be grateful for your wisdom.

Best wishes,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC