proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

I have made a very big decision that will affect my parenting

I have made a very big decision that will affect my parenting skills. I have chosen to leave
the father of my children. For reasons I'd rather not say. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is he took care of the
diciplen , most of the time. My kids have never taken me serious when it comes to my type
of parenting. Now there will be no choice , they will have to start taking me seriously. Only
thing is I have no clue were to start....
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. How old are your children? How many do you have? How long were you with their dad? Thanks!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well I have six . My oldest is 13 , than 9, 8 , 7, 4 , & 8 mths. I have been with there father for 11and a half years.
Are you going to have the children most of the time by yourself? What was the dad's style of discipline like that the children have been accustomed to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For my 3 girls it was only verbal abuse . But they knew when enough was enough. For

my 3 boys it was yelling , threats of spanking, but most of the time he would embarress

them and scar them emotionaly. I think thats why they listen right away.

Hello and Thank You for responding. You have to decide upon a discipline technique that is most comfortable for you and one that your children will respect. It may be a series of trials and errors. If you want to try just talking to your children when they misbehave without the yelling, they may be more receptive to that and then enforce necessary consequences such as taking things away that they enjoy. It may be an emotional rollercoaster for your children as the family has broken up. So you may be dealing with more discipline issues than you anticipated. Just be firm and consistent with your discipline. If they have never taken you seriously, you must make sure that you will not be manipulated and give into their whining. You set the rules and standards. Make sure they all know what you expect from them and what the consequences will be for not following the rules. You need to maintain confidence in your parenting abilities as the adult. Do not fear hold you back from being the authoritative figure in the household. Your children will respect you.
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor