proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

This may seem a small concern...my 3 yr old has just started

Customer Question

This may seem a small concern...my 3 yr old has just started school, he has only ever been in my care due to family situation. He is overreacting to even minor difficulties at school eg getting the squashy bit of the banana at snack time today, he does have a low tolerance, he also is in a small school where he is in a year group of 4 currently, his older school friends seem to have established he is easily wound up and are actively seeking to do so...I am at the end of my tether hearing bad reports about his behaviour, yet I also see he is being provoked into misbehaving...He is not used to being wound up as his 4 yr old brother is very laid back, I do a daily de-brief and we have a morning calm time getting to school...where he is very happy to be. I have told hime jut to walk away, we have a reward system for good school behaviour...and I can see he rarely initiates things...how do I get him not to over react when it is clear other children are encouraging him?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about your son's problems in his new school setting. Since you already have a reward system set up, then maybe you should try role playing techniques. Your son needs to be taught how to behave in certain situatins before they actually occur. So what you need to do is take on the role of one of the instigating students or set up a situation in which your son would over react. Your son plays "himself". At out a scene with you taking the lead. See how he would react and then explain to him the proper behavior and the reason for the correct behavior. You may need to do this several times with many different scenarios until it becomes very natural for him to act better. Hope this helps!!! Have a great day!!!!Laughing

Oh , also make sure the teachers have a reward system set up at school as well.