proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Hi there ... my 7 year old daughter (strong personality, this

Hi there ... my 7 year old daughter (strong personality, this one!) is getting very lazy at her schoolwork - she's bright as a button and when she's concentrating, can whizz through her math in no time at all with 100% correct answers, so it's not that she can't do it, but sometimes she just sits there doing nothing, or complaining "why do I have to do this?" or simply whining ... I don't want to be hostile as I'm scared to trun her off school work forever, but what can I do to insist that the works get done in a timely manner? Fiona in Cape Town
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. You may want to use a timer and say by the time the timer goes off in # XXXXX minutes, then you may ??? Your daughter may need breaks between assignments to redirect her attention to something more enjoyable. It is getting toward the end of the school year in many areas and numerous children are already in the summer mode. Also, you may need to set up a reward system, Focus on the positive behavior. For every evening that she does her homework without you having to intervene, then she gets a sticker. After 10-20 stickers, you decide the number, she gets a really big treat or a special outing. You can use a calendar for each day. If she has a problem day, she gets nothing. Ignore her meltdowns and move on. Tomorrow is another day. Try this at least until the end of the school year and see what happens.

Hope this helps!!!!