proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

How long should people date before meeting each others young

How long should people date before meeting each other's young children?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello...How old are the children? Would this just be a casual meeting? Is the relationship serious?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My daughter is almost 8 and I'm 2 + years post divorce. My gf has 3 children, 8, 4 & 2 and is approximately 1.5 yrs post divorce. We've known each other for at least a year and dated exclusively for about 5 months. I don't know if it can be classified as serious, but it is exclusive. I frankly have reservations about the prospect of three additonal young children, but also have never met them. Her oldest knows about me, apparently. My daughter is unaware. Any meeting would certainly be casual, in the form of an outing where we met somewhere as part of a larger crowd.
Hello and Thank You for responding. This can be a very delicate situation but six months to a year is a good time frame as long as the children have gotten offer the changes that came with the divorce and seem emotionally ready to accept a new person in their lives. When meeting, taking the children to someplace like Chuck E. Cheese would be great!!!