proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Child Care by family members. I am due to return to work in

Child Care by family members.
I am due to return to work in a few weeks from maternity leave and my cousin who is a close family member, 40+ age, brought up her own three children, looked after her own grandchildren etc has offerred to look after my child for me. This is a fantastic opportunity as I was dreading having to put my baby into day care with strangers and obviously a big factor was the cost. I was just wondering is there a law or any restriction with family members looking after your children when you return to work or is it a parents choice? I trust my cousin totally and I am over the moon she can look after him but she is not a registered child minder and I didnt want to put her in any awkward position.
Thank you in advance.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. As long as your cousin does not have an "official" child care in her home and watching other children in which she would need a license for, then you are just fine having her watch your baby. Make sure that you tell her what you expect and do not be reserved about letting your demands/desires be known. Your baby will be fine. it sounds like your cousin has had a lot of child rearing experience. Just make sure that the health and safety is of the utmost consetn to your cousin. Just by the way, what state do you live in so I can double check for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im living in the UK. She looked after me as a child for babysitting duties so I know she is more than capable just wanted to confirm the legistlation. She would only be caring for my baby so thats fine. Thanks for your answer :0)