proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Encouragement for Divorced Daughter

My daughter has been divorced for a little less than two years. She is a wonderful mom to a boy 9 and a girl 8. She has a very stressful job and is constantly in conflict with her ex although she makes a good effort at not fighting with him in front of the kids. She has had an unbelievable number of bad things happen to her since the divorce (like car breaking down, having to replace air conditioner in house, needing crowns on her teeth) placing even more stress on her. Lately she just seems on edge all the time and looking for a fight. It is really taking a toll on both her and her relationships. I'm sure she's somewhat depressed but is just one of those people who feels like they have to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and keep going. How can I help her work through this? Maybe a book you could recommend because I doubt that she will talk to a counselor.

I just hate to see her so unhappy, but she doesn't seem to think she may need to make some changes instead of blaming everyone else.  I know she needs to take care of herself for starters but maybe you can give some ideas on how to encourage her to look inside herself for a new perspective.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the situations that your daughter has been going through. Counseling would give your daughter a great deal of emotional assistance and support to releive her from her mental pain. However, since you do not think that she would seek the help from a counselor, then I can suggest a powerful book which is also in DVD form called The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. It basically talks about how believing in positive things in all areas of your life will actually cause those aspects to come to fruition. The book is only about 190 pages long and is very easy reading. you might want to read it first and pass it on to your daughter. When I first read it, I could not stop reading it. It is truly an amazing piece of literatue. Hope this helps!!!