Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

Hi - I have a four & half month old baby boy who has gained

Hi - I have a four & half month old baby boy who has gained a healthy weight gain, he is around just under 6 kilos. But as he is getting older he just seems unhappy each time he is on the breast, very cranky. I offer both sides each feed, but he just doesnt seem happy. He doesnt sleep for long periods either around 1 hour and if Im lucky 1 and half hours of sleep. At night time between 8-9pm he does have a longer sleep sometimes 4-5 hours in one go but this is his best and longest sleep each day. This is my 4th child and have fed all of them over the age of 1.

Is this behaviour normal or is something wrong - why is he so cranky and shitty when he is drinking, he comes on and off constent each feed.

Please advise
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

It sounds like physical discomfort. The act of sucking starts a body action called peristalsis....bowels go into motion....which can cause gas pains in some babies. If his digestive system is extra sensitive, it could be this. Gas pains occur on and off.

It is also possible that he will be an early teether and his front upper or lower teeth are coming in....this might also cause discomfort.

In addition, he may be in a growth lag and does not have the hunger drive he used to. The first 3 months babies gain twice as much weight as the second 3 months.

It is the trouble with sleep that is causing me to wonder about the physical discomfort. Maybe a gentle pain reliever would help...but consult the GP first.

I hope this helps...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But what do I do - you have given me some reasons to why he may be like this - but do I continue on with the way I feed and sleep etc - or should I take him away from the breast when he gets cranky and should I make him cry after an hour of waking - as in control crying
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
What to do is hard because it depends on the cause.

If gas, take him off momentarily and put back on because gas pains and on and off. (Also gas drops may help)
If teething, then, do the same and the pain reliever to prevent this feeding behavior (as mentioned);
If growth lag, then, take him off and try again when he seems more hungry..I wouldn't make him cry for an hour though...maybe 15-20 minutes.