proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Hi, I have a question about my 8 year old (She turns 9 at the

Hi, I have a question about my 8 year old (She turns 9 at the end of June) daughter. To make a long story short, she has told me many times about how her classmates don't play with her during playtime. For example, recently she has been complaining about how when they play board games in school she is the only one who doesn't get to play because nobody asks her to play. She told me she even asks the kids if they'll play and they say no. This makes me feel horrible! When she tells me about it she seems really sad. Now I'm not just saying this because I'm her mom but she is a really sweet kid. I don't understand why anyone would not want to be friends with her. It just seems like sometimes in general that people often don't tend to associate with people who are really nice but gravitate towards people who are not very nice. Please give me advice on how to help make my daughter not feel so bad about this situation.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer? Have you spoken to your daughter's teacher? Does your daughter have friends at home?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not spoken to my daughter's teacher and she doesn't have friends at home. Sadly, her 10 year old sister is very mean to her too.

Hello and thank you for responding. With regards XXXXX XXXXX school issues, schedule a conference with the teacher. Voice your concerns. The teacher needs to make a concentrated effort to make sure that she is included in school activities. The teacher should give her some leadership roles as well. Your daughter needs to develop greater self esteem and confidence. If she is not involved in any sports, get her involved in that as well. That will foster a sense of team building and make her feel important as she is a part of a group. If she is truly an introvert and you see very little hope that she will change, you may want to seek outside professional counseling in which your daughter can receive on going intervention strategies to enhance her sense of belongingness.

Hope this provides you with some insight. Have a great day!!!