proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Any new research out there on the importance of a nightly bedtime

Any new research out there on the importance of a nightly bedtime routine for:

a. babies
b. small children
c. elementary children
d. preadolescence
e. adolescents

I am working specifically with parents, and want to help them help their children develop healthy routines that are BOTH good for the child and good for the child/parent relationship.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Do you need research based answers?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll take whatever you can get me.

Research-based answers will be very helpful, but I value your opinion, too. Thanks much.

a. babies

For babies, it is important to establish a routine that differentiates daytime activities from night time activities to help them sleep through the night and also allows the parents to get some sleep. In the night time, babies should be put to sleep in their own cribs. If they do happen to wake up during the night, do not play with them. Change the diaper, feed them, or whatever is necessary with very little conversation.

b. small children

Small children enjoy the repetition of a bedtime routine: having a bedtime story read to them, saying family prayers together, etc. Stucture makes them feel safe and secure.

c. elementary children

Elementary children need a bedtime routine that will help them settle themselves down and declares the day is officially over. Dinner has been eaten. Homework is done. Backpacks are ready for the next day. The children can lay quietly in their beds and reflect on the day as they fall into dream land.

d. preadolescence

Preadolescents need a bedtime routine becase that are always trying to assert their independence. If they are not given a bedtime routine, they will try to rule the house. They will need to be told to put the cell phone away, turn off the computer, stop playing video games, and complete homework. They will even need to be reminded to take a shower/bath and to brush their teeth. Also, a parent may even need to tell them what time they need to be in the bed. Even though preadolescents seem more independent, structure is still necessary to assist them to stay on track.

e. adolescents

Adolescents can benefit from a bedtime routine to wind down from the stresses of daily life. Reading a book, watching tv, or even exercising, may be ways to settle down from the craziness of life.

Hope this helps!!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there any research on the neurology of the last 5-10 minutes of the night, and how having a positive interaction with loved ones shapes the child's developing mind?
That would be more of a medical question or a mental health related issue. Since I have already answered part of the question, you would need to relist the question in that seperate category. Hope I helped a little. Laughing
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor