Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

im completely lost with being a parent. my father was a pretty

Customer Question

im completely lost with being a parent. my father was a pretty big ass when i was growin up an i thought he was just abig prick til i got older and realized he was teaching me about life but it was in a sorta mean way. so ive tryed everything i can think of o not be an asshole to my children while still being srict. they are 7 and 4 and understand alot for their age. they just will not listen at all. ive tried time out, corner, physical training such as jogging, push-ups, but nothing thats too hard for them to do, ive tried beng super nice and not punishing them at all, im always trying to do fun things with them, which my dad never did with me. and im not saying my father was a bad fther, he just did things i always thought could have done a better way to get me to listen. so i always look back at my child hood to see the things i did and how my dad handled it an how i reacted to his methods. and try to do better. but no matter what i do it dont work or help. i even try to include my children in things im doing like workin on the car building something, fixing things, cooking and all the things my dad wouldnt let me do cuz he say im to young. i was a very smart kid that wanted to learn an try new things that i knew i could do. so i do that for my kids because they are capable of so much and i want them to learn all that they can. they will sit there and do exactly as i say when we doin something new to them that they are learning from but when i say make sure u put your bowl in tha sink when your done. and they either dont do it or they put it on the counter or somewhere else not in the sink. and im just lost and cant understand what i need to be doing to get them to listen to simple things, like dont wreste in your roomand its just getting so hard to still be a good father without being an asshole that punishes them all the time. cuz they can seriously turn 5 min in the corner into all day in the corner. and i hate that so im always giving in after so long. and i kinda feel like a dick if i dont give in but at same time that cant be good. if u need to no anything else let me no. im just wondering what i should be doing. thanks for the time.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Am I correct in assuming that you are the dad? Are your children both boys? What is there behavior like around other people and in school? Thanks!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other
was unable to reply to the expert answer and give her more information.