proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My child is very intelligent but does not apply his knowledge

My child is very intelligent but does not apply his knowledge in school, and often pretends he doesn't know how to do things (i.e. read) even though he's at the grade level in reading. He thinks school is primarily for playing around - he's only 6 yrs old and is in first grade. At home he can read perfectly fine and finish his homework with very little assistance. At school he is quite the opposite. How do we emphasize to our child the importance of doing well in school? We talk to him about this all the time and even told his teacher that his performance at home is completely different. Any suggestions on how we can motivate him about school?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. It sounds like your son is very bright but may be bored with school. Does the teacher provide challenging activities or differentiate instruction for students according to their academic levels? If possible, you should pay a visit to your son's school to see exactly how he behaves in class. Is he on any type of behavior contract at school? Let me know. Thanks!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The teacher says he needs help all the time, spacey at times and doesn't listen in class. Lately he's been throwing tantrums in school and at home, when he gets in trouble, and he would cry unconsolably for 20 - 30 minutes. The teacher also says that he's very hard on himself and breaks down if he doesn't understand his school work or is lagging behind. He is currently in this special program in school where they get additional help in reading and comprehension. I think he's in a lot of pressure - part of it being our fault for pushing him too hard. But the school standard is also high and because he's not applying his knowledge in school there's a chance that he won't progress to the next grade level. Because my husband and I work full time, my son is forced to attend an after-school program that provide academic enrichment. Then after we pick him up from the after-school program he does additional school work to prepare him for the week's math and spelling tests. Could he be doing too much?

Hello and thank you for responding. Your son may be experiencing too much anxiety as well as depression from the academic demands of school...even at his young age. Related to anxiety and depression is ODD: Oppositional Defiance Disorder. If he is having a persistent pattern of temper tantrums, angry and disruptive behavior toward authority figure, defiance and refusal to comply with adult requests and rules, disobedience, being easily annoyed, academic problems, and a difficulty maintaining friendships, then he may have ODD. It may be beneficial just to be on the safe side to have your son evaluated by his pediatrician. He made need counseling to build back up his self-esteem.

Hope this has provided you with some insight.