Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children

How do you address the challenges of a young boy as a single

How do you address the challenges of a young boy as a single mom when he says I do not have a Dad? At 4 almost 5 do you ignore it or have a casual chat? What the risks involved in either option?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Keane :

Hi, I can help today

Dr. Keane :

I would suggest that you keep it simple. He is too young to cognitively understand so reply in an age appropriate way. I wouldn't ignore it . If you showed him a clip of his dad and told him that is who he is that is all he needs right now. If he asks why he isn't there answer simply he lives elsewhere, don't get into specifics then change the subject and reassure him that Mom is there to take care of him. At this age that is all he needs. Please accept so I get credit for my answer.