proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I think my pregnant wife is jealous of my 2 year old daughter.

Customer Question

I think my pregnant wife is jealous of my 2 year old daughter. I'm a merchant marine who is away from home for several months at a time. When I do get to come home I want to spend time with my wife and daughter. My wife gets mad at me because she says I play with my daughter too much and that just because my daughter comes and asks me to play outside with her or play at the playground with her that I should tell her no and tell her to go play by herself or play with the other kids. She accuses me of hovering and getting in the way of my daughter's social development. She also accuses me of wanting to spend more time with my daughter then with her. I have tried to spend time with my wife but she pushes me away and says I am smothering her. I am so confused and conflicted. I don't know if this is a hormone thing from the pregnancy or if my wife just doesn't understand that because I am away from my family for months at a time that when I come home I want to spend as much time with them as possible and I don't want to tell my daughter, "No, Daddy doesn't want to play with you." Should I just chalk it up to hormones and leave it until the baby is born or should I keep trying to explain it to my wife?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your wife. Since she is pregnant, her hormones are completely out of whack. She may do and say things that are completely unlike her. Did she act in this manner with your daughter before she was pregnant? Once the baby is born, all of her time will be consumed with the baby and she should gladly accept the time that you spend with your daughter. Continue being the loving husband to your wife and the attentive father to your daughter. Let your wife rant and rave. You cannot change her actions but you can change your reactions to your wife's behavior. Right now, she wants to push your buttons. Pregnancy is hard and stressful. When you do come home, spend time together as a family, alone with your wife, and alone with your daughter. Even if you have to grit your teeth through your wife's episodes, be as positive as you can be. Hopefully, she will change after the birth of the baby. If you need more advice, just ask!!! Have a great evening.Laughing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your advice and the quick response. The baby is due at the end of this month, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've been home for almost two weeks and it has been very frustrating. Thank you again.
If more advice is needed after the baby is born, just type in "For Expert4U" at the beginning of your question and I will be able to assist you. Thank you and much success to you and your family. If you have not already done so, please leave feedback for me. Have a good day.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here