proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My ex-partner and I will be splitting in a years time. We have

Customer Question

My ex-partner and I will be splitting in a years time. We have a three year old daughter. I understand that he is entitled to co-parent. He is asking to have her an equal amount of days a week to me, or something to that effect. I am concerned that this is going to impact on her because it will be as though she has no fixed home. I would like her to have her main home with me with an agreement made with regards XXXXX XXXXX often she stays with him and am quite willing to co-parent with him. I have to work full time and would therefore not be happy for example with him having every weekend with her as this would mean I would hardly ever see her. I am also concerned where she will live if she lives with him as it is unlikely he will be able to afford a two bedroom house or flat where she would have her own bedroom. I don't want her living in a house share with other people whom I don't know or trust. I am also very concerned about the people whom he is friends with, which is one of the reasons we are splitting. I don't want me daughter anywhere near people who take drugs. I don't care how well off or not they are, I do not want her to be subject to that world and dragged around pubs. Please can you tell me what my rights are as her mother? We are not married, but he was registered on her birth certificate and he is her father.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for using Just Answer. If the custody arrangement cannot be settled amicably between you and the child's dad, you will have to go to court to set a more permanent visitation schedule. What is in the best interest of the child will always be taken into consideration. You can usually contact a family attorney and get a free consultation on the first visit. If more legal advice is needed, you can direct additional questions to our legal Just Answer experts. Thank you and have a great day.