proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I have 2 year old twin boys and am having trouble with their

I have 2 year old twin boys and am having trouble with their sleeping schedule as they wake up in the middle of the night and come to our bedroom and end up sleeping in the same bed with us at least 6 nights out of the week.

Any advice?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. What time do your twins go to sleep at night? How many naps do they take during the day and at what time? When is their last meal? Do they share a room?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They are getting to bed between 8-9, my wife puts them in bed (sleeping together) and then leaves. They usually do not nap, and tend to have some milk or juice right before bed. there last food meal however, is normally around 7
What time do they need to wake up in the morning?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Varies daily... usually around 7-8
Hello...when the twins wake up in the middle of the night, return them to their beds without saying a word. You may have to do this SEVERAL times. Do not give them any attention to play, eat, drink, etc. If this does not work after numerous attempts, try limiting the juice right before bed. They may be waking up because they feel the urge to use the bathroom since they are drinking something right before bed. Additionally, have them sleep with a comfort object like a blankie or a stuffed animal. Discuss before they fall asleep how they must stay in their room and if they want to come out, they must hold on tight to their comfort object and wait until it is sunny to come to your room. Another method, which seems harsh, is to tell the children beforehand that you will completely close their bedroom door if they get up to come out of their rooms. But of course you would not leave the door closed the entire night. If you need more advice, just ask.