Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

My son is 1.5 years old. I am now getting a divorce. How

My son is 1.5 years old. I am now getting a divorce. How that affects my son's psychology? Will he grow up healthy body, mind and soul?
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

Long term studies of children with divorced parents have suggested that some children have problems and others do not. The children who adapt the best are from parents who both play an active role in the child's life AND who have a good co-parenting relationship. It is important to get along in front of the child and to not say bad things about the other parent but rather support the relationship with the other parent.

The children who have the most psychological problems are those who have been abandoned by one parent or when they are placed in the middle of the parents poor relationship.

I hope this has given you some guidelines in preventing psychological problems in your son. Good luck....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for your answer... The truth is that I really want to keep a good relation with my ex husband because of our son... The problem is that because it was my decision to get a divorce I see that my husband can't accept it and the fact that he is too hurt right now, it makes him to have a negative behaviour to me. He is the best with our son, but angry and disappointed with me. Also...my parents (especially my mother) has an opinion for everything and that makes things even worse since they live in the same house. I'm thinking that the best solution is to leave from where I live now and go somewhere else by myself and my son. From the other hand, I don't want my son not to have a good relationship with his grandparents... Everything is so confused to me right now!
You decision to be on your own is a rational one as is sounds like this will decrease son being exposed to conflict between your mother and yourself. Your son can still have a good relationship with grandparents whilst not living with them. You ex-husband will need to put feelings about you aside for sake of his son's well-being...I know...easier said than done but all professionals (including lawyers and judges) will advise this.