proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My daughter turned three years old in January and I am still

My daughter turned three years old in January and I am still struglling with her potty training. She is able to use the potty when she feels like it but she is determined to take the easy way out. What can I do to encourage using the potty like a big girl? Positive reinforcement and rewards don't seem to work. I am just frusterated and feel as if I'm failing her already. Is it uncommon for a three year old to still use dipers?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. This is a very common concern for parents as they want their children to be potty children as soon as possible. However, no matter what you try to do, your daughter will be ready only when SHE wants to be. Does she wear underwear during the day? If not, you need to start with that aspect. Have her try to go to the potty every hour or so while she is in underwear. She will not like the wet feeling if she has an accident. Don't punish her if she does wet on herself. Just tell her to try to make it to the potty before the "pee pee" comes out. If she is still in a pull up, then that is not helping her become potty trained. She will of course need to be in a pull up at night for a little while until she has mastered the daytime issue. If you need more advice, just ask.Laughing