proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 4 yr old son is bullying another little guy (just turned

Customer Question

My 4 yr old son is bullying another little guy (just turned 5) in our neighbourhood. I heard this back from another neighbour. Nothing violent just verbal, telling the little guy that he hates him and that he cant' play with him and their other friend. We are quiet strict on all of our sons and cannot believe this. He is the youngest of 3 boys and his older brothers treat him very very well, always kind and loving (seriously). We had a talk with our little guy and explained that this isn't acceptable behaviour and that he should treat everyone with respect even if they are not his friend. I dont think we are getting through to him oh we have also grounded him for two days
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. How long has this bullying been going you knowledge?
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago. get through to your son, you might want to do a little role playing. You be the boy your son picks on and have your son bully you. Overreact while playing the other boy so that your son sees how he has hurt your feelings greatly. Then if your son is willing, you play your son and have your son act like the boy he bullies. This will send a message to your son that we all have feelings and can be hurt by the actions or words of others.

Additionally, here are some child friendly books about bullying that may interest your son:

The Berenstain Bears and the Bully

by: Stan Berensatin

Help Me Be Good: Bullying

by: Joy Berry

Help Me Be Good: Being Mean

by: Joy Berry

The Bubble Gum Kid

by: Stu Smith

My Mouth is a Volcano

by: Julia Cook

Your son is only bullying because it gives him a sense of power that he probably does not feel much as the youngest of your children.

Hope this has helped. If you need more advice, just ask.