proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

I cant get my 13 y/o to study and he sloppily completes homework

I can't get my 13 y/o to study and he sloppily completes homework and loses homework papers alot. He is a smart kid and maintains a B average--what can I do to motivate him? i'm tired of punishing him with no video games or playing with friends on the weekend.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Maintaining a "B" average is a fine accomplishment. Would you rather him have "As?" Is your main concern that he is not doing better in school or his at home work habits? Have his teachers mentioned anything to you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Teachers just comment that he often doesn't pay attention--otherwise he does fine in class. My concern is that I'm not doing enough to encourage interest in doing better--he just isn't interested in doing well. I asked him if understood the importance in doing well in school and the importance of good study habits to do well in high school next year and he says of "of course I mom."
If he understands the importance of doing well, then start praising and rewarding him when you see noticeable improvements in his homework assignments and ability not to lose assignments. Oftentimes, the negative actions of punishments do not cause children to behave. They become disensitized to the consequences. But when they discover how much more pleasant their lives will be when they do better, they will be more apt to keep achieving.