proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My six year old accidentally killed our pet bird to day trying

My six year old accidentally killed our pet bird today trying to catch or hold it and squeezed to tightly causing it to die. My mother was in the kitchen at the time supervising the children. I was asleep when my child came in and told me she had killed the bird. She was very upset and sobbing, I asked her what happened she told me and said she didn't mean to do it she was very sorry. I explained to her that I understood it was an accident but that she still needed to be punished because she knew she should not have tried to catch the bird without an adult to help her. I also hugged her and told her it was going to be ok. So my question is did I do the right thing here?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Yes you did the right thing by saying it was an accident. However, what was the punishment?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sitting quietly reading books no playing or TV for rest of day
Very appropriate consequence for her age. Also make sure she tells you what she did wrong and what she should have done so that she will learn from her own mistake.