proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My son Rylee is a very smart 3 1/2 year old who needs help.

Customer Question

My son Rylee is a very smart 3 1/2 year old who needs help. His biological father Jordan has been in his life sporadically up to about age 2 at which point he began landing in and out of jail. Rylee has not seen his father since December of 2009. On January 31, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison for meth and burglary charges. Rylee asks where daddy Jordan is and I need help on how to answer him. I don't want to lie to him but I don't think a 3 year old should have to deal with the knowledge of his father being in prison.
Not sure if it's relevent but Rylee has had an amazing father in his life since age 2. He is my fiance Jeff who Rylee does call dad.
Thank you for your help. Hilary
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer.
Hello again. Whatever you do, do not lie to your son. To explain it for now on your son's level, tell him that Daddy made some bad choices and must be punished for those choices. He had to go away for a long time and is in time out and is in jail. ....You may or may not want to use the world jail. As your son gets older, he will of course ask more questions and you will need to bee honest with him. Maybe your son's dad can write him a letter or go visit him in jail. Just do not keep the truth from him. It will be better off for everyone so that your son will not happen to find out from another source besides you. If you need more advice, just ask.