proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My son is 13 years old and has always had a happy disposition

My son is 13 years old and has always had a happy disposition and an easy-going attitude. He is also about 20 pounds overweight, and recently he has been made to feel embarrassed and excluded by boys who have been his friends his whole life. They make fun of him for being too slow and not good enough to play in their pick-up basketball games. I am friends with all of these boys' mothers. I am tempted to tell the moms, and I know most of them would say something to their sons, but I don't know if I should interfere. I wouldn't say he is being bullied, just disappointed by his own friends. Any advice? It's breaking my heart...
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. If the weight is causing your son's friends to exclude him, you may want to discuss his weight issues with his pediatrician and they can refer you to a nutritionist. Also, Weight Watchers starts with children his age and is a great program. If you do not want to tackle the weight issue right now, then your son must be more assertive when being bullied. He must look his friends right in the eye and say things like: "So what's your point?" or "What are you going to do about ?" Bullying is all about asserting control and power over another individual. Your son must continue on and not give into their negative remarks. He can just ignore them as well. If you are really good friends with the parents of the boys who tease your son, you should bring it up to them. They may need to know that their sons are not the angels that they appear to be. If more advice is needed, just ask.Laughing