proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

What are some strategies to deal with defiance/ disobedience

What are some strategies to deal with defiance/ disobedience?

I occasionally am at a lss for punishment for my 10, 8, and 6 yr old children. It is so aggravatibg when they are defiant and simply say no, don't listen or the like
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the disobedience and defiance of your children. When such inapropriate behavior occurs, have them look you right in the eye and then you must state your demands. Have them repeat what you have requested them to do. Then you may have to stick around to see if they will get started on your request. When you discipline them, the goal is to teach them rather than to punish them. They must be taught that you need to be more respected. Do not allow your children to manipulate you as you will always remain the parent in charge. Children will push your buttons as they see it as a game of power and control. Also, try to focus more on the positive behavior that is being displayed. Too often, negative behavior receives too much attention which does very little to help it improve. REALLY praise your children when they are doing well. Furhtermore, you can even role play certain situations to teach your children the apprpriate way to respond and behave. Kids usually love to role play. See how these things help. If you need more advice, please ask.
Also, I was just wondering...have there been any recent changes if their lives to make them upset or more stressed?