Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent
15718554

I have an 8 1/2 month old daughter who was born 5 weeks early.

Customer Question

I have an 8 1/2 month old daughter who was born 5 weeks early. She had a truamatic birth and was in the nicu for 5 weeks. She had a few seizures when she was first born and some trouble bottling, but otherwise now is doing excellent. She is reaching all of her milestones and seems very happy and healthy. I am doing everything the books and doctors say, reading to her, playing, lots of love, etc. and have been at home with her up until this point. Part of me wants to go back to work, but I am a little uneasy with leaving her. However, she doesn't get as much social interaction now (the doctors have asked us to avoid daycare for 2 years if possible). A couple of times a week we have another lady watch her with two other children in the house, so that she gets a little interaction time with other kids. She seems happy, but I'm concerned she may not be getting enough social/interaction time with other kids. Also, since she had such a rough birth, is there anything else I can be doing to help her reach her full potential? If it means staying at home longer I will. My husband and I just want to know if there's anything else at all we could be doing for her. She does seem to get scared sometimes around grandparents or other adults, especially if there is a lot of noise during family gatherings. Do we need to worry that she always cries when her grandma and grandpa babysit or hold her? I think it makes them feel bad. Thank you!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Paige :

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question.

Dr. Paige :

Are you available to chat?

Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 6 years ago.
First of all I would like to commend you for doing what seems to be an excellent job in taking care of your baby girl who required a little help. You seemed to have followed the doctor's orders. It might be time to ask the doctor to reevaluate your situation. Perhaps once he sees her again and gets an update from you, the 2 year limit might be withdrawn.

On another note, children as young as your daughter generally don't require a whole lot of social/interaction with other kids. Don't get me wrong, a little bit is definitely beneficial, but honestly, your little one is happiest when she is with you. Lack of interaction with other children at this point will not harm her personality or stunt her social growth. At around 18 months, it would be healthy for you to allow more interaction with other children. So, whichever you decide (to go back to work or not) should be fine; I would not worry about her social development too much at this point.

Thank you and good luck! :-)