proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My wife (ex) and I are no longer married. We have a child who

My wife (ex) and I are no longer married. We have a child who is 8 and 1/2 months of age. I have my time with him during which he seems very happy and content. I currently live with my parents as does my ex-wife. When our son is with me we she him plenty of affection, play with him, talk to him, and try to teach him things. He has never had an issue sleeping over night here and never has a hard time going down for naps. I follow a schedule my ex-wife gave me for him. Over all, when he is with me and my parents, he seems very happy.

When he goes back to his mom's, she tell me she has a difficult time with him. He won't go down for the night easily, fusses more, and seems cranky. She tries to make me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Is that normal for a baby to do or is one of us doing something wrong? I do know that his mom's house can give very tenseful vibes.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello..if there is tension in the house, with lots of yelling and screaming and not enough attention being paid to the child, it will be difficult for him to fall asleep. Unless you have specifically seen what is happening in the household of your ex wife then you can only assume. Your ex wife may be stressed due to her job, financial matters, your break up, or whatever. When you put a young child into all of those aspects, it becomes very stressful. Having a baby and attending to him or her is not an easy task. It does take a great deal of time and a lot of work as you have seen but your ex wife may not be willing to put firth the extra time and effort needed.