proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My son used to be a good sleeper up until about a month ago.

My son used to be a good sleeper up until about a month ago. He would sleep from 8pm-7:30am. Then he had gotten Roseola and was teething at the same time. We expected sleep disturbances, which there were actually few. But now a month later, the Roseola is gone the teeth are in and he is waking up at 6am everyday. When he wakes up he goes downstairs to either sleep on the couch or "hang-out" on my husbands lap. Then he's tired and cranky all day long. We've tried making him cry it out, but he would cry for over 45 mins before going back to a fitful sleep for only about 30 minutes. There was no improvement after trying to cry it out. Just an uphappy baby. What can I do to help him sleep through to 7:30am? It seems like he wants to since he just goes back to bed on the couch.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello....I am not sure how old your son is but here are a few suggestions:

1. Try putting him to sleep 1-1and1/2 hours later than usual

2. Make sure he is not napping too often during the day

3. When he wakes up crying, comfort him without taking him out of the crib or saying anything but by stoking his back and laying him back down. Then leave. This is the hardest of all.

Try these especially the first one and see if that helps.Laughing

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is 15 months old and gets 1.5 to 2 hours nap each day. By the time he gets home from daycare, hes exhausted. I dont think i could actually keep him awake until 9 or later. He usually is out by 8pm. Would suggestion #3 be more like a CIO?

Suggestion #3 would be like to cry it out.

Some children also feel a great deal of separation anxiety when they walk up at night. He needs to learn to start comforting himself. Does he have a favorite blanket or small stuffed animal that comforts him? Have you tried playing classical music or lullabies? Does he have any toys attached to the crib he can play with if he is still in a crib? You will exhaust yourself trying to comfort him when he has been already fed and is not wet.

If you need more advice, just ask!!!