proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 12 year old grandson has recently become forgetful, unwilling

My 12 year old grandson has recently become forgetful, unwilling to do school projects, and has become messy around the house. He has always had a generous, helpful, loving, funny personality, and is normally a good student, able to keep track of due dates. He has played the trombone in the school band for the past two years, and has recently played the bucket drum for a school play. He will not say anything is wrong, and gets upset whenever I try to ask him if all is ok. He lives with his Mom (my daughter), Dad, two younger sisters and brother. Are there any right questions to ask him to find out what is bothering him, or should I just leave him alone?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Are are his grades overall? How are his social relationships with friends and with members in the family?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

His grades are proficient in all areas; he has several friends, and is well liked by his classmates; his relationships with his younger siblings has changed somewhat over the course of the past 6 months - he has become increasingly bossy, and intolerant of their need for attention. He loves and respects both his parents, but will argue with them if he doesn't want to do something.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when will I receive a reply

Hello...sorry for the delay in answering but my internet was down due to the weather. Your grandson is simply going through a little hormonal change as he is soon to be thirteen. Nothing is wrong with him and asking him will only make your grandson angrier. His behavior is completely natural as he enters the teen age years and is nothing to be too concerned about. The positive aspect is that he is doing well at school. To help with his organization at school, just make sure that he writes down all assignments in a planner. His parents should be checking the planner daily to make sure that he keeps up to date with assignments. With regards XXXXX XXXXX messiness, teen age boys are known to become messy for a while. Clothes will soon be thrown all over his bedroom. His bed will probably rarely be made up. Keeping his belongings in order is simply not a priority in his life right now. He is probably more into the social scene or soon will be. Family interactions will take a back seat. Video games will probably consume his life as well along with sports.

As long as he remains respectable to his siblings and parents, continues to do well in school, has open and honest discussions with his parents, relates well with others in and out of the family, then you have absolutely nothing to be worried about. When he does get out of line, make sure that he is being reminded by his parents about acting appropriately and follows through with the correct behavior.

If you need more advice, just ask. Have a great weekend and once again, sorry for the delay.