proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

I would like to know the law pertaining to Developmentally

Customer Question

I would like to know the law pertaining to Developmentally Delayed Adults here in Washington DC. Is a parent who suspects abuse of an adult able to advocate on the adult child's behalf? Also could you please let me know exactly where I would find this law. Is there a chance of getting guardianship of an adult
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.

Your best bet would be to contact an attorney in your area that specializes in legal guardianship of adults specific to your state and case. What I can tell you though is when abuse is supected of an adult who lacks the capacity to take care of herself or to manage financial affairs, often a family member is appointed by the court as guardian or conservator if they do not have a Durable Power of Attorney and/or an Advanced Medical Directive.

You must first institute a court proceeding with attorney assistance. Then a petition is filed for an appointment that includes a narrative presentation of the facts, the relationship to the person, and an explanation as to why you should be appointed. The petition must be accompanied by a certificate of a qualified medical person verifying the incapacity of the individual and why there is a need for guardianship. The court will then hold a hearing on your petition.

Hope this helps.

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for answering my question. I have attempted the route of going to court for guardianship of my daughter when I first suspected this was happening, however DDS, their attorney general lawyers, University Legal Services as well as Quality Trust all banded together to stop me. I want only to be not only involved with what happens with my daughter, but also to be able to positively effect the outcome of what happens to her. Right now, the situation is that her phone calls are listened to, she is watched at all times and I am as well when I visit her only my only day allowed Saturday for 30 minutes
Wow. I am speechless. Fight for your daughter as much as you can. She deserves you!!!! Take care!!!!