proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My baby is 18weeeks old and is exclusively breast fed, shes

My baby is 18weeeks old and is exclusively breast fed, she's refused all types of bottle, dummy and comforters but has started comforting to sleep on my breasts and wont accept anything else to settle, but when she stirs after 30 minutes she obviously expects the same to settle to sleep again. If she doesn't get offered the breast she screams and becomes totally inconsolable. I don't want to put her to the breast each time but she is getting very distressed when not given it and is also waking my toddler now too. Any other suggestions of something she may use to comfort - her own hands, thumbs etc seem to be a no goer too.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 6 years ago.
Hello...Maybe a pacifier will work which would be much easier to break that habit than thumb sucking. Also what seems to work wonders for many parents are these little square blankets with all sorts of little tags sewn all around the sides. Babies are fascinated by the colors and textures of the tags and immediately want to put them in their mouths. If you go to any baby store like Babies R Us and ask them if they sell such a blanket, you can check it out. Additionally, you can try to find a super soft stuffed animal that your baby likes to hold. You may have to try a few before your baby becomes really attached to one. Nonetheless, your baby loves the contact with you. Keep the contact going but with less skin to skin contact and gradually add the items that I have mentioned to distract her from you.