How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am dealing with an extremely controlling ex-husband. We

Customer Question

I am dealing with an extremely controlling ex-husband. We have joint-custody but there is nothing joint about it. He works against me in everything and uses our child as a pawn. Debating speaking to an attorney but afraid it would backfire. He puts on such a good display around others. I have everything documented but...<br /><br />My ex-husband was extremely verbally abusive, emotionally abusive, never physically abusive.  My daughter had unexplained complaints of vaginal pain, with all the doctor's visits we never found a medical explanation. <br /><br />She still has trouble sleeping before going to his house.  He is very manipulative with her and tells her things without saying them, "Your mom is going to get mad... you are going to get in trouble....wouldn't you like to live with daddy all the time."<br /><br />His wife transferred to my daughter school as an assistant teacher 2 years ago and the school allowed him to bring an unsigned portion of a modified decreen.  They gave him full parenting rights (he wasn't entitled to) then he signed a school district power of attorney to give her full rights.  I had to battle with the school because they gave her rights over mine.<br /><br />We moved and now she is in a new school and I just found out there is another power of attorney at the new school.  His wife is in making statements about our daughter that is not true.  We are treating her for ADD (however I am positive the unexplained symptoms caused were not part of that) and saying we were not sending pills when she  is with them.<br /><br />A year and a half ago they passed a new law that allowed fathers, if they elected, to take additional time.  Now she goes there during the week from Wed after school to Sun at 6pm.  They have no rules and she can eat whatever she wants.  She often comes home feeling sick from too much junk.  <br /><br />She is struggling through school and is at risk of faily 5th grade.  She was already held back in 1st grade.  This whole situation is frustrating.  I have a great husband now and a great house.  It is very disruptive to deal with the stuff my ex-husband does.  He is really unhealthy and I question if he is not bi-polar and using substances to self-medicate. <br /><br />I have been going to Alanon for over 7 years and even with my believe in God it doesn't seem to help me get through this sometimes.  My rational mind can never understand why he acts the way he does if he cared about our daughter. Atlhough I know this isn't about me, her, it is about him and his control I think.<br /><br />Considering speaking with an attorney on Friday, afraid they will just take money and it will backfire on me somehow.  You hear about those insane situations where the dad gets custody when it is apparent he shouldn't.  However you never know.  <br /><br />Just frustrated, realizing things have not changed and more than likely won't if i do not do something. <br /><br />I believe it would be better for us to not share things and have more concrete black and white rules.  He uses the decree as a weapon against me.  This is just not working.  This is not healthy for any of us.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions