proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

MY SON IS 5 YEARS OLD AND SPEAKS VERY CLEAR, I CAN UNDERSTAND

Customer Question

MY SON IS 5 YEARS OLD AND SPEAKS VERY CLEAR, I CAN UNDERSTAND HIS WORDS. MY CONCERN IS THAT HE SEEMS TO BE HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING WORDS TO SAY. I DON'T KNOW IF MAYBE HE'S JUST TALKING TO FAST OR IF THERE IS A BIGGER PROBLEM. IT SEEMS TO BE WORSE WHEN HE'S REALLY EXCITED AND IT SEEMS TO GET BETTER WHEN WE TELL HIM TO SLOW DOWN AND TAKE HIS TIME WHEN TALKING. I DON'T THINK IT'S ADHD BECAUSE HE CAN SIT AND DO CLASSWORK/HOMEWORK. I WASN'T CONCERNED WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER BUT SINCE HE TURNED 5 A FEW MONTHS AGO. I FEEL THAT IT SHOULD BE GETTING BETTER.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Robert Smith replied 5 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX : Hello. Thanks for your question. I would like to get more info if that is ok. Can you give me an example of a conversation you had when this happened?
Customer:

Hi! I can't really remember an exact conversation. He will be talking about his day at school or anything that he's trying to describe and seems to pause alot and look up like he's trying to find words.

XXXXX XXXXX : Have you asked him why he pauses?
XXXXX XXXXX : Or what he is thinking about. He can probably tell you.
Customer:

I've asked him in the past and he said "I don't know".

Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello...Does this problem happen all of the time or only when he seems to get excited about trying to get the words out quickly? Often at his age, children's brains are moving so fast with tons of ideas and when they attempt to express themselves verbally, they cannot mentally separate what should be stated first. Additionally, he may not have all of the vocabulary needed to express himself appropriately. When he is trying to speak and seems to be getting his words all jumbled up, tell him to try telling you one idea or sentence at a time or even a few words. If you tell him to stop, he may begin to feel self conscious and frustrated and not want to answer at all. If this does not work and the condition seems to be worsening, have him further evaluated by the speech therapist at his school or seek a referral from his pediatrician for a speech therapist. Such a professional will need to see him on several occasions to make an accurate diagnosis if there is a problem.
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You! I think we will take him to be evaluated by a Speech Therapist.
Yes...that would be your best course of action. It may just be a developmental delay, articulation problem, hearing difficulty, etc. A speech therapist can assist you further. Have a great day!!!!!