proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 6 year old daughter has serious rage episodes, and at times

My 6 year old daughter has serious rage episodes, and at times can show aggressive tendencies. She is impossible to calm down, and nothing I have tried has done any good. Her 8 yr old sister has ADHD, but mainly inattentive. Her attention seems fine, but with her normal energy and these frequent outbursts, I wonder if she may have ADHD also?
Hello...How is you daughter's behavior at school? How well does she sleep at night?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello! She seems ok at school, she is very smart and could read and write before she entered Kindegarten. At night, she goes to sleep pretty fast, but is very restless in her sleep. Alot of times she yells and makes noise, but she has done that since babyhood. she sleeps in, and I usually have to wake her in the morning.

Your daughter may possibly have ADHD. Children with true ADHD as opposed to ADD have great difficulties sleeping through the night as your daughter seems to have. I would suggest that she be further evaluated by her pediatrician or a psychologist who can provide a more accurate diagnosis based on a thorough evaluation of all of her symptoms and behaviors. Additionally, ADD/ADHD does tend to run in families as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ive considered that also, but wouldnt she be showing signs at school, too?

Yes...she should be showing signs at school as well. However teachers have different tolerance levels of what is considered acceptable behavior especially at her age. What you can do is observe her at school on a few different occasions. Additionally if the school has a psychologist, request that she/he make some observations of your daughter. Then you should sit down with your daughter's teacher and have her openly tell you how your daughter behaves : can she focus on one task for a lengthy period, does she stay at her desk, does she seem ancy at times, is she easily upset, can she share with classmates, does she follow directions, etc...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very, very much!! I am working on getting a Psychologist for both my daughters, for their issues!
I wish you success. You are ensuring that your daughters stay on the right path to lead successful lives as adults.Laughing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!!Laughing
Keep me posted if you wish on the progress of your 6 year old or if you need further advice.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate it. I have accepted my 8 yr old has ADHD, she was dx in the 1st grade, she is in 3rd now. I am hesitant to try meds before other things first, and am familiar with ADHD behavior. I just never thought I may have 2 with it! Their behaviors are not exactly the same!

Oh...My son is in 5th grade now with ADHD diagnosed in 3rd. He was on medication for the past 1 1/2 years and it helped but it changed his personality while on the medication. He has been off since January and is doing alright. The medication does make children seem drugged out which did bother me. Choosing medication is a personal decision and requires a lot of thought and personal reading on the pros and cons.

As a parent of a child with ADHD, you just have to be really patient and help them ALOT!!! I have two other sons, 12 and 15, who do not have ADHD. So much of my attention is to my ADHD child. I am trying to be real positive with him even when he gets in trouble at home and at school. ADHD children need so much love and attention than you realize.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but I love the way my 8 yr old's brain works! She is sooo creative! She is having a little difficulty in some of her subjets, esp Math, and her teacher is really trying to talk me into medicating, but I'm just not ready yet! If it turns out my 6 yr old also has ADHD, I may have to medicate her to help with anger issues, as well as getting them both into Therapy. I don't like the idea of my Little One going on meds either, but I really don't want her hurting herself or others. We live with my Mom, and while I know she loves her Grandmother, she gives my Mom a hard time alot. It makes me feel bad for my Mother.

I used Concerta for my son because of his anger issues at school. He could not control himself on the playground and was in trouble almost every day. I hated picking him up from school because I would always receive a note from his teacher. Then at home, he would always lose his temper with his brothers about everything. His behavior is so much better now and he is off the medication. He had a behavior contract at school and at home to help control his behavior as well. He still has problems with the focusing issue but we are working with that without medication for now. My son is like a big teddy bear but on medication, he was like a zombie.

I hope everything works out for you and your daughters. Like I said, keep me posted and ask for any further advice if needed. Just type "For Expert4U" in the beginning of your question and I will receive it. Thanks again and I am glad I could assist you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! Have a great evening!