proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My 15 months baby is very very picky eater. Eats maybe 2-3

My 15 months old baby is very very picky eater. Eats maybe 2-3 types of food, likes hard cheese, cranchy stuff/ cookies/ crackers/ pufs or fried franch fries (I try not to give the bad foods), sometimes eggs,and sometimes chicken when breaded only.<br /> will not try anything else. No fruits or vegetables! no meet, no chicken , no fish! no yugort. Nothing with spoon. What can I do? I try to eat good stuff arround him, but he still won't try. He eats millk - I pun in there all the fruits and vegetable (gerber), so he gets some nutrition.  
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello my friend. Children at this age are very picky. It can turn into a battle if you allow it. Do not worry though. His eating habits will change over time but it will not be overnight. As long as he is eating food and is relatively healthy and ganing the weight at a steady pace, then he is fine. Sometimes pediatricians recommend Polyvisol liquid vitamins and even Pediasure so that the children get the nutrients that they are missing. You must ask the pediatrician if this is a suitable option for your son. Nonetheless, maybe you can buy a really neat character spoon for your son and let him try to feed himself. Have you tried applesauce? Have you tried cooked veggies with a little ranch dressing that he can use as a dip? Just keep offering the foods in bit sides pieces. Hope this helps. If not please ask for more advice. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried everything. He is not willing to eat! I do not want him to get used to eating only carbs and fat. He can eat the same cheese and puffs all day long. He did not even try the ather stuff, hew dose he know he does'nt like them? He won't try a bannana or anything else.
Part of your son's refusal to eat is an independence thing (being able to choose) and part of it is personal taste. Fighting with your son will drive you crazy. You may have to offer a new food to your son 10-15 times before he will even try to eat it. The doctors will tell you that as long as your son is growing well, then you should not worry. Keep offering healthy foods over and over again. Try to limit snacks between meal. If your child is hungry enough, he will eat. Offer new foods on a regular basis. If you offer the same food over and over again, it will actually encourage and promote picky eating that can continue into adulthood. Continue to be a positive role model. Your children are watching what you eat as well.