proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Hi, I have just been told recently that Alkyd Melamine paint

Customer Question

Hi, I have just been told recently that Alkyd Melamine paint that I used for the baby's dresser is unsafe...this is a newborn and I just finished adding the second coat of paint on the dresser approx 5 days before the baby arrived home. Are there any issues with this paint? Should I remove and dispose of the dresser? Can this Alkyd Melamine paint harm the newborn baby.

Thank you
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello...I am not sure what the exact chemical make up of the paint is that you have used but I can provide you with some general information about paints and then you can apply it to your situation.
Low VOC paint (volatile organic compound) are safe because they simply do not have much of an odor. Most home centers like Lowes and Home Depot carry the paints. Ask the representatives about the current paint that you used.I If you are not sure, steer clear from using that paint. If the paint that you currently used emits an odor and does not seem to be diminishing, then you should toss the dresser and possibly repaint it with a VOC paint. A dresser painted that emits a strong odor can cause breathing problems for infants. Hope this helps!!!!