proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Im a single parent to 10 year old girl and am having a few

I'm a single parent to 10 year old girl and am having a few problems. Basically, she thinks should do what she wants regardless of what I say. If I tell her I'm not happy with the way she is behaving, she throws a tantrum, cries (almost like she is being beaten). She has to have the final word. I can't even ask her to do simple things without an outburst (like brush your teeth or time to go to bed). She goes into my room and helps herself to my things wihou asking, I have told many times that I am not happy with that and would rather she asked me for something instead of helping herself, but it ends in an outburst, then tears then she's sorry - but she keeps doing it. According to the teacher, she is very quiet in school. When she is around other people she does not act like this, in fact just the opposite (although my parents are starting to see what I'm dealing with), because on several occasions they have had an outburst too.

I'm trying to deal with it, but when she has an outburst I get so stressed out I end up with a headache.

Please help!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Just to get some background: How long ago was the divorce? Is she your only child? you are the mom??? Has she always behaved in this manner? Is it getting worse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Myself and her father separated before she was born, she has never had any contact with him. She is an only child.

Hello and Good Morning....Your daughter is upset and angry about something and acts out in such inappropriate manners to get attention. The root of the tantrums and why she feels like she must get her way must be discovered. Ask your daughter what she likes about you and what she does not like and if there is anything that could make her life better with you. If she has trouble actually telling you in person, then have her write you a letter. Explain to her that no matter what she says of how she feels, you will not be angry . The main purpose is to try and get your daughter to open up and communicate with you. If that route does not work, then you made need to involve a third party like a psychologist or a counselor/family therapist. Also here is another thought to ponder...If you completely ignored your daughter's outbursts, what would she do? Her audience would be gone.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor