proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I have a 14 year old daughter who is very responsible and mature.

I have a 14 year old daughter who is very responsible and mature. She is adopted from another country and has experienced the loss of her birth mother and father, separated from her family (sisters) and placed in an orphanage at the age of 8.

She excels in school - is empowered, humorous, respectful and very intelligent.

She has recently asked if a group of 3 boys and 3 girls go to the movies on a Saturday evening. I am asking what is the appropriate age for "group dating" to commence?

There is no real magical age for group dating except that one should be at least in high school or around the age of your daughter. It would also be advisable if you knew the other teenagers going to see the movie with your daughter. You need to know something about the company that your daughter keeps. At your daughter's age, I would advise that the outing begin in the afternoon and last no longer than the early evening time. Make sure that she can call you when the movie is over. You do not want her just hanging out. As long as you set boundaries and guidelines and she knows the consequences for not following them, then you should be fine AND so should she. This is where communication and trust comes into place!!!