proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I have a girl that has just started secondary school she is

I have a girl that has just started secondary school she is coming home each day crying as she is having issues making friends is there a course or somewhere I can take her to to improve her social stills?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello my friend. What grade is your daughter currently in? Is she naturally a shy person?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has just started at Iona an all girls school she is in year 7 We have made a friend for her that comes to the house each day to go to school with her. She has girls she knows that have come from her old school she seems to think that when she joints a group of girls that maybe one gives her (as she says dirty looks) I think that she is imaging it. I have told her to sit next to a girl in the classroom instead of sitting alone and hoping that someone will sit next to her. She is quite shy and said that its hard. I have told her to go to school with a positive attitude that each day will be 100% better than the previous day and that she sould smile even if she is feeling sad, it will make her feel better and will give the other girls the impression that she is a happy friendly girl. We have come from England 3 years ago and I think this maybe an issue too.
Try to have your daughter become involved in any after school clubs or on sports teams. She will certainly make friends in those situations. She is of the age of a middle schooler and girls at that age can be rather cruel and particular as to who they want in their circle of friends. Being from another country, especially if she has an accent, will cause others to make her feel isolated. Speak with your daughter's pediatrician and acquire a referral for a counselor who deals with teenage social issues such as fostering self-esteem. Your daughter would be able to learn intervention and coping techniques in social situations and how to approach individuals and make friends from a counselor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have no doctor at the moment should I just call the local doctor and ask or maybe call the school and see if there is anyone that can help?I have told her she needs to join the Netball team or Volleyball but she doesn't want to. There is a drama class but she seems to think its for older kids
Your daughter does need to get more involved. She should not isolate herself. That will only make the situation worse. You can contact your child's school and speak with a counselor or the school's psychologist. The school's psychologist can even talk with your daughter which would save you the effort of trying to find a doctor and acquire a referral.