proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

HI I have moved in with my boyfriend who has two daughters.

HI I have moved in with my boyfriend who has two daughters. They live with their mom most the time but we have them every other weekend. The oldest (14) is insular and has in the past been 'sexting' and displaying promiscuous behaviour. She has already had sex. Both parents have banned her from the internet, apart from the odd occasion, and she is not allowed unsupervised phone time. But, she just uses her friends' phones. She proves again and again she cannot be trusted and it's a constant battle knowing how to deal with her. She is obsessed with her appearance and spends hours every day getting the 'look' she wants. Her mother rages at her dad (who I believe to be a just and loving father) blaming him for their daughter's behaviour. I think both talk to her in a negative way and worry that she will just get worse. Can you give me some idea as to how things should be handled?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello...This is a very serious situation for such a young girl. Besides talking to her about the nature of her actions, try limiting the time that she spends with her friends who are not assisting in helping in the situation. Also, counseling may be in order so that she could hear the information from another source besides her parents. Since she is already sexting and having sex at the age of 14, her parents would be devastated if she ended up pregnant, raped, etc. She is not headed down the right path in any way shape or form. Her parents do not need to play the "blame game" but rather seek the supportive and interventional help that she needs as soon as possible.