Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

I have a friend who is breastfeeding and at the begining the

I have a friend who is breastfeeding and at the begining the baby wasn't latched on correctly causing damage almost like lacerations on her nipples. The latch was corrected. She was unable to feed the baby on the right side due to sever nippple pain, but she did pump. Both nipples have now healed, so she tried to feed the baby on the right side and she stated that it hurt very bad not only the nipple but her whole breast. She has no fever, or lumps that are warm or red, and no flu like symptoms.
My question is could this be an infection from damaged nipples, and should she be worried.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is possible that she has developed mastitis. Pain is a signal that should not be ignored. Therefore, she should see the doctor tomorrow for blood tests and culture to detect the possible infection. It is not a medical emergency so it can wait until morning.

Good luck....