proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

my 17 1/2 year old son has recently started drinking quite

Customer Question

my 17 1/2 year old son has recently started drinking quite heavily at weekends and has got himself involved with a crowd who are quite casual about smoking dope etc. He said he tried this for the first time recently too. He seems to be very easily lead and despite long talks from my husband and myself about the dangers of too much alcohol he seems unable or unwilling to change his behaviour. He is in 6th year at school but puts in minimal effort into his studies although he does hope to go on to college next year to get more grade and hopefully go on to uni the year after. I dread to think how he would cope if he left home in the next year as he seems to be so easily influenced by those around him. How do I get him to buck up his ideas? I would be grateful for your expert advice.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
How long has your son had these problems?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He started drinking but quite infrequently about a year ago but recently it has become every 2 to 3 weeks.

If he is hanging out with the wrong crowd, try limiting his time spent away from the home. Hopefully, he will not try sneaking out of the house against your demands. Have you ever thought about counseling? Your son's doctor can refer you to a counselor specializing in addictions. It is important that your son get the help that he needs before destructive behavior occurs. Your son may be in denial about his alcohol usage and may not view it as a problem. Another person outside of the family may be able to provide your son with some insight.