proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Hi, Im contacting you because I have a teeneger son who is

Customer Question

I'm contacting you because I have a teeneger son who is 14 years old, and refuses to go to school in the mornings. He just simply tells us, that we can not make him do anything against his will. Today he left for school in the morning, but recently we got a call from school, that he did not go to any of his classes. We live in Los Angeles, California.
I'm hoping that you can give me some advice, if there is anything i can do, to force him to go to school?!

Thank you!!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello my friend. How long has he been refusing to attend school? Is he basically a good kid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Started about 3 months ago, and it is going on on and off, not an every day thing, but happens about twice a week. In general he is a good kid, but recently he talks very disrespectful with us, basically that we can kiss his butt, and to get a f**k out of his room, i even took his door lock of, because when I was waking him up in the morning, he locked his room so i couldn't go back in to make sure that he is awake, and he is getting ready, and he would just go back to sleep.

Hello again...First of all try to talk with your son and determine the reason why he does not want to attend school. He may be faced with bullying problems, academic failure, social pressures, and even relationship problems. The next step is to ascertain what your son does when he skips school. Is he hanging out with friends, getting involved with drugs, or just staying at home playing video games. The next step would be to get the school involved because your son will be considered truant for skipping school and the school will in turn place the responsibility on the parents. Speak with your son's guidance counselor immediately and he/she will be able to provide supportive counseling for you as well as for your son. If that route does not work, then seek assistance from a professional counselor who specializes in teen age boys. It is hard to force your son to attend school. He must have an intrinsic motivating factor of why he should go to school. But before he has that desire, the problem must be discovered.

Hope that provides you with a little direction. If you need more assistance, just ask.

I noticed that you live in Los Angeles. If your son attends school in LAUSD, you may check out their website and see if there are any additional resources for parents.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can i take him out of high school for a month, and send him to his father, he lives in Hawaii?

Yes..you can take him out of school for a month for an extended absence. You will need to talk to his counselor at school and explain your situation. If he is in fact planning to return to the same school after the month is over, he may be required to complete some assignments so that his extended absence will not have a detrimental impact on his academic progress. If at all possible, try to schedule that month of being in Hawaii during the Spring Break so that he will only miss 3 weeks of school.

Any more questions, just ask. Have a great weekend.