proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 17.5 year old just ran away. What legally are my rights

Customer Question

My 17.5 year old just ran away. What legally are my rights at this point to bring her home?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago. cannot file a missing persons report with the police because you seem to know where she is. Hopefully, she is still attending school. You must continue to talk to your daughter and convince her to come home. The reason that she has run away is probably due to some dissatisfaction at home. You must attempt to get to the root of the problem. If she is almost 18, then she will be considered an adult and there will be nothing legally that you can do to force her to come back home. If she wants to be on her own at 17, then she must emancipate herself from her parents and then you will have no guardianship over her.
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Keep the lines of communication open. Family therapy may be needed to help all family members with the roots of the problem. The longer your daughter is out of the house, the more serious the situation will become. Make sure that she is safe and not just out in the streets. If you need more advice, just ask.